Drug name: Farxiga
Generic name: Dapagliflozin
Strengths: 5mg, 10mg
Formulation: Film coated tablet
What is Farxiga
This medication is a diabetic medication that helps to keep blood sugar levels in check. It aids in the removal of glucose from the circulation via the kidneys. It’s authorized for a variety of applications in people with type 2 diabetes or heart failure.
What is Farxiga Used for
The uses of Farxiga is indicated in the following:
- In people with type 2 diabetes, this medication is used in conjunction with diet and exercise to improve blood sugar management.
- Farxiga is used to reduce the chance of having to go to the hospital for heart failure in individuals who have type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
- Farxiga is used to reduce the likelihood of having to go to the hospital for heart failure in adults. Heart failure occurs when the heart is weak and cannot pump enough blood to the rest of the body.
- This medication is used to reduce the risk of renal disease worsening, end-stage kidney disease (ESKD), mortality from cardiovascular disease, and heart failure hospitalization in people with kidney disease.
- This medication is not approved for the treatment of type 1 diabetes.
Typically, your doctor will start you on a low dose of this medication and gradually increase it until you reach the correct dosage. The smallest dosage that produces the desired effect will be their objective.
The following information outlines widely used or suggested doses. However, follow your doctor’s instructions and take the dosage that he or she recommends. The dose that is most effective for you will be determined by your doctor.
Usual dosage for adults with type 2 diabetes:
- To improve glycemic control:
- Initial dose: 5mg orally once daily
- May increase to 10mg orally once daily for additional glycemic control if lower dose has been tolerated
- Maximum dose: 10mg/day
- In order to reduce the risk of heart failure hospitalization:
10mg orally once a day
- A typical dose for heart failure patients with reduced ejection fractions is as follows:
10mg orally once a day
Farxiga Side Effects
Common side effects:
- Vaginal yeast infection
- Respiratory infections
- Urinary tract infection (UTI)
- Increased urination
- Genital infection in men
- Back pain
- Increased cholesterol levels
Serious side effects:
- Low blood sugar – hypoglycemia
- Severe allergic reaction
- Kidney damage
- Serious UTI
Farxiga might cause serious adverse effects. If you have any significant side effects, contact your doctor immediately, or dial 911 or your local emergency number.
These aren’t the only adverse effects that come with it. Other, perhaps more rare side effects should be discussed with your doctor and pharmacist. Before taking this medicine, tell your doctor about any allergies you have, medications you are taking, and any previous medical history you have.
How much does Farxiga Cost
OnlineCanadianPharmacy.com is committed to customer satisfaction and strives to provide the safest and most inexpensive Farxiga possible. We also provide a Farxiga generic, Dapagliflozin, that is affordable and available at a discounted rate. Check above for the listed prices, and online price comparison tools to see that we offer you the opportunity to buy this medication at much lower rates, even with the use of a Farxiga coupon.